Violetta M. Kim
Mrs. Violetta Kim is one of Kazakhstan's leading lawyers in the area of civil law and civil judicial procedure and has a vast experience in settling complex civil, labor and administrative disputes.
In 1991–2004 as a judge of the Supreme Arbitration Court and Supreme Court, Mrs. Kim participated in court proceedings of large import for the Kazakhstan economy. From 1998 to 2004, she actively partook in the preparation of the judicial practice summaries by the Panel for Civil and Business Cases of the Supreme Court and preparation of the Supreme Court's normative resolutions, which serve as guidelines for all state courts in the settlement of civil disputes. Mrs. Kim was awarded several times by the decorations of the Government and Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan for irreproachable work and valuable contribution to the improvement of judicial practices.
Mrs. Kim specializes in the area of civil, economic, administrative and international private law, civil procedure and arbitration, as well as in oil and gas and environmental legislation.
Kazakhstan Bar Association, Kazakhstan Petroleum Lawyers' Association (KPLA), International arbitration court (IAC), Kazakhstan International Court of Arbitration, International Arbitration “IUS”, International Commercial Arbitration Court of the Eurasian Mediation Center
|2005-present||AEQUITAS Law Firm – Partner|
|1995-2004||Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan – Justice|
|1991-1995||Supreme Arbitration Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan – State arbitrator|
|1971-1991||Several organizations and enterprises – Consultant, Head of legal department|
|1969-1971||Forensic examination bodies|
|1969||Kazakh State University, LLB, Kazakhstan|
Awards / Recognition
“The leader of the litigation market in Kazakhstan”. Chambers Global 2017
Mrs. Kim was recognized as Kazakhstan's best lawyer in 2003 in the Choice of the Year international contest among the CIS member states, and was awarded Altyn Adam award. In 2014, she was awarded a 2nd Class Judicial Excellence Medal.
- Representation of a large oil company in a litigation over land plot seizure for state needs.
- Represented in court a large oil company in a dispute over a prosecution authorities claim for damages caused by gas flaring.
- Advice to large oil companies on environmental law matters.
- Represented Kazakhstan's largest coal producing company in court proceedings regarding invalidation and cancellation of the Kazakhstan Antimonopoly Agency's ordinance.
- Representation of the Kazakhstan's largest construction corporation in arbitration and litigation over premises lease dispute.
- Antitrust advice to a large telecommunications company concerning additional radiofrequencies to be granted by the authorized agency.
- Advice to a renowned auditing company in connection with litigation against the Ministry of Finance of the Republic of Kazakhstan.
- Preparation of an expert opinion on the Kazakhstan law application issues for an English court.
- Representation in court of major American and French companies in disputes over patent rights to medications.
- Chentsova O., Kim V., Yemelyanova L. Kazakhstan’s Judicial Practice in Environmental Disputes. // Petroleum. – 2013. – № 3.
- Braynina N., Kim V. Legal Regulation of M&A Transactions in Oil and Gas Industry of the Republic of Kazakhstan // Materials of the Tenth International Atyrau Legal Conference. – Atyrau. – 2012.