Lyailya S. Tleulina
Ms. Tleulina represents clients in courts and local arbitrations on different categories of disputes and advises clients on a wide range of issues, focusing on civil law, civil procedure, commercial arbitration, intellectual property and bankruptcy. Ms. Tleulina succesfully applies pretrial and extrajudicial dispiute resolution methods.
She is appraised by our clients for her many years' and diverse expertise in the dispute resolution area, deep knowledge of law, all-round analysis of disputable situations and experience in building successful defense strategies.
She is a respondent for the World Bank's legislation monitoring in the Doing Business ratings.
Kazakhstan Bar Association
|2008-present||AEQUITAS Law Firm – Senior Associate|
|1992- 2008||Private companies and banks – Senior Legal Counsel, Head of Legal Department|
|1984-1992||State organizations and state-owned companies – Legal Counsel|
|2019||AIFC Court and International Arbitration Center, "International Commercial Law" course, Kazakhstan|
|1984||Kazakh State University, LLB, Kazakhstan|
Awards / Recognition
Recommended in Dispute Resolution (The Legal 500 2019)
- Successful representation in courts of a local subdivision of a world famous concern specializing in energy, construction technologies and automation in disputes arising from construction contracts.
- Successfully appealed in the Supreme Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan the tax authority's notification issued to a Russian subsoil user company.
- Successful representation in court of a major supplier of crop protecting agents in a number of cases on recovery of debts totaling to more than US$16 mln.
- Representation of a Russian supplier of foam-polymer products in a case involving bankruptcy of a local company.
- Representation of a number of foreign companies (residents of Switzerland, Russia, Ukraine, Lithuania and Poland) in local arbitrations over disputes involving debt recovery and support of enforcement of foreign judgments and awards.
- Ongoing representation in courts of a Russian leasing company in disputes arising out of financial leasing agreements (more than 12 cases over the period from 2012 to 2017).
- Successful defense in courts of all instances of the trademark owner's rights in connection with violations associated with the trademark use in a domain name.
- Successfully challenged a resolution of the Ministry of Justice of Kazakhstan on early termination of legal protection of the client's trademark in Kazakhstan in the first instance and appellate instance courts.
- Successful extrajudicial protection of the trademark owner's rights from unauthorized use of the trademark on the local company's website.
- Represented in court a number of foreign and local companies in connection with disputes arising out of supply contracts and service agreements.
- Represented in court a major Russian bank in a complicated dispute over termination of a counter-guarantee.
- Successfully challenged in the Supreme Court of Kazakhstan the judgments of local courts in connection with inconsistency in interpreting and applying the rules of law by courts.
- Advice to local and foreign companies on various matters related to judicial process, civil procedure, commercial arbitration, recognition and enforcement of foreign judgments and awards and application of the statute of limitations.
- Advice to IT company in a dispute with one of the Kazakhstan's largest communications provider, including support of pretrial correspondence between the parties to the dispute.
- Drafting of a special document on corporate pension plan for the employees of a local representative office of a major foreign company.
- Drafting of an agreement on establishment and operating procedure of conciliation board for a major local bank.
- Advising foreign and local employer companies on the issues of labor law in connection with representation of their interests in court in labor disputes (approximately 17 cases over the period from 2012 to 2017).
- Participation in extrajudicial settlement of labor disputes.
- Participation in a presales due diligence of a group of subsoil user companies and a group of transportation companies.
- Drafting of supply, leaseback, guarantee and other commercial contracts.
- Advice to clients on the matters related to the rehabilitation and bankruptcy procedure.
- Advice to a local pharmaceutical company on how to mitigate the risks of additional assessment of VAT in connection with the upcoming tax inspection.
Tleulina L., Idayatova A. The Guide to Challenging and Enforcing Arbitration Awards: Kazakhstan // Global Arbitration Review. – June 2019
Tleulina L., Idayatova A. Litigation and enforcement in Kazakhstan: overview // Thomson Reuters. – February 2019
Tleulina L. Recognition and Enforcement of Foreign Judgments and Commercial Arbitration Awards in Kazakhstan // Legal 500. – 2015.
Shaikenov V., Chentsova O., Tleulina L. International Arbitration 2016. Kazakhstan // Chambers Country Practice Guide. // 2015.